The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.
Usually this error occurs of the number of items in a folder/lists/libraries needs to be less or equal to the list view threshold set in SharePoint.
Generally if any of the SharePoint list or library has 3000 items and a folder with 3000 items, both the folder view and the root folder view will work for a list view threshold of 5000.
However, if the folder or root folder grows to have more than 5000 items, it will stop displaying items in the default view and throws error/warning.
- In order to resolve the issue, please increase the list view threshold from SharePoint Central Administration site for this specific web Application. Please find steps below.
- Login to Central Administration( Server where Workflow /Sharepoint is installed- Search and type Sharepoint Administrator); It will open the Sharepoint Site
- Go to Application Management -> Manage Web Applications
- Select SharePoint Central Administration Web Application
- In the ribbon above, click General Settings. That will bring down a menu, from which you should pick Resource Throttling
- Change the List View Threshold option (first item in this list) to 50000 and press OK