Users are noticing slowness when using WinShuttle products
Foundation, Studio, Excel Addin
Before you proceed to go through all the below steps to identify your performance issue, please be aware that your Antivirus, Firewall or any other security software could be the likely culprit!
Please contact your Security Team and asked them to disable any security software or antivirus and test again to make sure this can be discarded from the list of possible performance issues.
There are several areas to investigate when looking into performance issues, such as SQL, memory and WinShuttle configuration
- The dbo.tracelog table within the Foundation User Governance database may have grown to over 100mb. If it's greater than 100 MB, truncate that table. If that tracelog table gets large, it can cause timeout related issues on the site and various functionality.
- Make sure User Governance and Workflow Logging is turned OFF; this can cause performance issues if it's on.
- If VM's are being used, ensure Dynamic Memory is turned off
- Ensure that you've applied the App Fabric CU 6, plus the changes needed in the DistributedCacheService.exe.config as described here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/calvarro/2014/03/20/points-to-consider-with-distributed-cache-on-sharepoint-2013-updated/
- If any SharePoint CU have been applied, make sure the configuration wizard has been ran on each of the servers; if not your databases will be placed in read only mode and will cause all sorts of issues for WinShuttle.
- If user is facing issues on the Foundation site for the number of items in a folder/lists/libraries not loading then the list view threshold set in SharePoint need to be checked. See attached article how to do so The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.
- In case the performance degrades performing an IISRESET improves performance.
- If customers have many solution and users, it is advisable to have load balancing of Winshuttle servers.
- Some times as the database size grows it slows down the performance. We recommend to perform archiving regularly. http://winshuttle-help.s3.amazonaws.com/foundation/en/workflow-10-8-archiving-workflow-process-data.htm
- If the size of temp folder on the workflow server is causing performance issue, please check attached article related to same .The size of the temp folder on the Workflow server is causing performance issues .
- Verify your system requirements as per our System requirements guides. In general production servers will require double the amount of RAM and CPU output. Any CPU or Memory requirements from Winshuttle side do not include your Windows OS, Antivirus or Database requirements. For example on Foundation12 Production a 32 GB requirement is given, this is 32 GB only for Foundation and does not include any IIS web services, Antivirus, SharePoint, Windows OS or MS SQL Database. As a rule of thumb if your system is running at a constant 70% of resources used like Memory and CPU you need to make sure to add more resources as any peek in resource consumption can crash the system or cause extreme slowness.
- Check you paging files on the servers. If your system is paging, this indicates lot of memory is being consumed and hence your system is using it's secondary memory a space of your hard disk which is going to slow down the server.
- Make sure you do not have DNS resolution delays you can check this by using the server IP in the URL instead of the name.
- Ping the Foundation server and see how many milli seconds it takes.
- Go directly to the foundation server and test the speed directly on the Foundation Server.
- If you are using a virtual machine make sure that those resources are reserved specifically for this machine and not share in a virtual pool among-st other virtual machines as this would take those resources away from your virtual machine but would not show up visually in your Virtual machine.
- Always check that your PC is not using a VPN, wireless and are connected to Ethernet cabled connections.
- Make sure you specifically exclude all winshuttle folders and processes from the Antivirus scanning process to avoid slowing down winshuttle processes.
- It is important to reboot servers during downtime hours to avoid issues of pending Microsoft updates not being written correctly into the windows registry.
- Any web debugging tool will be very helpful in analyzing delays a good 3 party tool which can be used for this is fiddler see link for more information and help: https://www.telerik.com/fiddler
- Slow logins or user delays can be a cause of corrupted windows credentials this can be resolved by having your IT department creating those user credentials.
- While using load balancer's or web proxies bypassing those temporarily might also help in isolating the issue.
- Clearing the browser cache might also be of help in correcting performance issues.
Hardware and Software requirements for SharePoint 2013 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/install/hardware-and-software-requirements-0